Sunday, March 30, 2008

A good day in Istanbul involves an art museum

Today we decided to go back to the Grand Bazaar with Ben (he helps us with our negotiating) and go to the Istanbul Modern Museum of Art (heretofore referred to as my Istanbul Happy Place). The Grand Bazaar was closed today, but the shops around it weren't. Whitters got a pretty lantern, and I got a few more souvenirs, and the shopkeepers were extremely nice. We got on the tram to Tophane, and got off at the Modern. We walked through several nargile (like hookah) bars that had really cool outdoor seating areas with bean bags, but it was TOO COLD to sit outside. We planned on heading back to one after we saw the art.



I LOVED the museum, not to overstate it. It was airy and not crowded at all, and I just felt comfortable and was able to relax. I didn't recognize any of the artists, but the paintings were beautiful, and the museum had huge glass windows that looked out on the ships on the Bosphorus. I don't know what it says about me (but I think I do not like big, crowded, bustling cities), but I liked being on the calm inside watching the crazy outside. We walked downstairs to the temporary exhibits, and one of my new favorite exhibitions is now "False Ceiling" by Richard Wentworth. I'm going to do something like it in my future library or future child's room in my future house. Isn't it cool? (It's amazing in person.)


After a little bit of browsing and buying in the museum shop, and after we realized that the cafe with a very good view also had very expensive prices, we left to go partake in nargile. In the nargile bars and also the coffeeshops, many of the men play Backgammon. Since we don't know how, we sit in bean bags and play checkers. This is the stalemate between Ben and me:


We also drink apple tea (or Coca Cola) and smoke the nargile (we've tried lemon and mint flavored tobacco - don't think we went too crazy). Ben smokes:


Ney-ney's pose:


I smile in Istanbul:


After we left, we walked outside and I discovered BAKED POTATOES. Ben helped me order one, so I got just cheese and butter (no olives, corn, hot dogs or some of the other various toppings). It was YUM-O. Whitters got one of her crazy good pancakes, but I'll let her tell you about it.

While we were sitting, waiting on the tram, Ben thought I should take a picture with the crumbling part of Istanbul to "capture" my experience on this trip. Here I am:



For the most part, a good day. Tomorrow is kind of our last day (we're going to the airport at midnight - Turkish law states that for an international flight you have to be checked in THREE HOURS AND FIFTEEN MINUTES before your flight - and since ours is at 5am, we didn't want to pay for another night). We're going to Topkapi Palace, back to the Grand Bazaar, to meet Ben for a fish sandwich under the Galata Bridge, and we just might get on the Bosphorus if it's not too cold.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG BEST BLOG EVER!!!

Even halfway around the world, you still manage to incorporate green and yellow into the daily wardrobe. Holler.


- Giles